Do You Keep Gorilla Glue in Your House with Pets?

By January 23, 2013Blog

So many of our dogs end up eating things they shouldn’t; dirty socks, garbage, babys’ toys.

But what do you do if your dog eats a bottle of Gorilla Glue? CALL YOUR VETERINARIAN IMMEDIATELY!

Gorilla Glue is just one brand of polyurethane bonding agents. Its active ingredient reacts with water that causes it to expand 3-4 times its original volume.  When ingested, it undergoes a chemical reaction with the stomach’s gastric acid, producing heat, CO2 and urea. This causes even the smallest amount of glue to enlarge and form a foam-like mass within minutes of ingestion.

If left untreated, your pet will begin vomiting, sometimes with blood in the vomitus. His abdomen will appear enlarged and will certainly be painful. Whatever you do, do not make him vomit! If you do, the glue can cause an obstruction in the esophagus. It can also cause him to aspirate into his lungs. Instead, your veterinarian will need to operate, in order to remove the enlarged round glue product that has formed in the stomach.

Remember, even the smallest amount of these polyurethane glues can cause this to happen. So keep any paper towels used to wipe up glue excess out of the reach of your best friends!!!

Dr. Wasserman

Its Hurricane Season!

Did you know AERC is open through all emergencies? We are prepared to help you.

Are You Prepared?