Sago Palms – Toxic to your Pets!

By March 13, 2014Blog

Sago palm trees (see photo below) are common in Florida and in other parts of the country as ornamental indoor plants.  All parts of the sago palm are toxic to dogs, including the pulpy, woody parts, leaves, and especially the sago palm nuts.  Ingestion of any part of the plant can cause severe liver failure.  Intoxicated pets will be jaundiced, very ill with vomiting, and are critically ill.  Critical care for intoxicated pets can include aggressive fluid therapy, plasma and/or blood transfusions, and liver protectant medications.  The sad truth is, however, that some pets with evidence of liver failure do not recover from intoxication despite aggressive critical care.  Prevention of ingestion of these toxic plants include not planting them where pets will be unsupervised in the yard, do not have ornamental sago palms in the home where pets are unsupervised, leashed walks only to ensure that pets are not allowed to eat plant material outdoors.  Please call your primary care veterinarian or seek emergency veterinary care immediately if you suspect your pet has ingested sago palm or if your pet begins vomiting and/or appears jaundiced.

Sago-Palm

-Dr. Diaz