Neurological Care for Pets in Fort Pierce
At Sunrise City Animal Hospital in Fort Pierce our very own Dr. Lyman provides comprehensive medical and surgical care for pets with neurological conditions.
At your appointment, Dr. Lyman will perform a detailed veterinary neurology exam to determine if, and what part of your pet's nervous system is sick.
Following the initial examination, Dr. Lyman will use advanced diagnostic imaging to identify the exact cause and available treatments. These may include medical therapy, surgery, intensive care, or some combination of the three.
Over 40-years of Neurological Vet Care Experience
Dr. Lyman is residency trained and has been practicing neural veterinary medicine since 1981. Over his more than four decades of service in this field, he has been exposed to a cornucopia of neurological defects and diseases impacting companion animals - he brings this expertise and experience with him when treating his patients.
Common Neurological Impairments in Cats & Dogs
Veterinary neurology conditions in pets commonly treated by our veterinary neurologist include:
- Intervertebral disc disease
- Encephalitis and meningitis
- Epilepsy, especially difficult to manage or refractory cases
- Brain and spinal tumors
- Syringomyelia/Occipital malformation
- Chronic pain
- Stroke and fibrocartilaginous embolism (FCE)
- Degenerative myelopathy
Common Neuromedical Procedures
- Complete neurologic exam and lesion localization
- MRI and CT interpretation
- Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) collection and evaluation
Common Neurosurgical Procedures
- Hemilaminectomy and ventral slot decompression for IVDD
- Craniotomy (brain surgery) for brain tumors
- Spinal tumor removal or biopsy
- Lumbosacral dorsal laminectomy for LS stenosis and cauda equina syndrome
- Nerve and muscle biopsy